Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Al's Old Camera Lives



Al Kaplan was a good friend and photographer who passed away on December 29, 2009. He was also a long time photojournalist. During his later life he lived in North Miami Florida and spent most of his time out and about with his camera photographing the people and happenings of his city often including himself in the photos using a small Voigtlander Bessa-L camera and an ultra wide angle 15mm lens. He also published a blog on Blogspot and wrote wonderfully interesting articles related to the photos he snapped, the people he met, and the events happening in his town.

Before his death, the camera body he used broke down and he sent it to me knowing I enjoy tinkering with old and broken cameras. He told me to keep the camera and to enjoy it if I was able to repair it.  He put his 15mm lens on a new camera body and continued with his blog and photography. Here is Al's blog: http://thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com/  Look into his archives and enjoy the journey.

I was able to repair the camera and bought a lens from his son. Al's camera is alive again, I will use it, and will post photos taken with it here from time to time.

Al is holding the camera he sent to me in the photo above. The photo was taken by his friend James Mitchell.

God bless his memory.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks Todd. I always enjoyed Al's comments and photos on Film Lives. Glad to see you are keeping his memory alive.
God bless.

Unknown said...

Hey Todd,

It's been a while since I have hard from you, How the heck are you doing?

Randy
holgamods